Monday, February 13, 2006

Alochana-V Day


Dear readers,

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

A brief history of Valentine's Day:

The Feast of Lubercus

The first interpretation has this celebration originating as a pagan tradition in the third century. During this time hordes of hungry wolves roamed outside of Rome where shepherds kept their flocks.

The God Lupercus, was said to watch over the shepherds and their flocks and keep them from the wolves. Every February the Romans celebrated a feast called Lupercalia to honor Lupercus so that no harm would come to the shepherds and their flocks. Also during Lupercalia, but in honor of the goddess Juno Februata, the names of young women were put into a box and names were drawn by lot.

The boys and girls who were matched would be considered partners for the year, which began in March. This celebration continued long after wolves were a problem to Rome.

As Christianity became prevalent, priests attempted to replace old heathen practices. To Christianize the ancient pagan celebration of the Feast of Lubercus, the church officials changed the name to St. Valentine's Day.

This story brought some thoughts in my mind and I started digging deeper into the principle character associated with legend of Valentine's Day:

Pagan God Lupercus :

The Roman god of agriculture and shepherds, also an epithet of Faunus. The Luperci sacrificed two goats and a dog on the festival of the Lupercalia, celebrated on February 15. This took place in the Lupercal, a cave were, according to tradition, the twins Romulus and Remus were reared by a wolf. This cave is located at the base of the Palatin Hill. Goats were used since Lupercus was a god of shepherds, and the dog as protector of the flock.

The today known Valentine's Day was celebrated sometimes on February 15 in Rome. The festival was called Lupercalia.

Lupercalia (known as the “festival of sexual license”) was held by the ancient Romans in honor of Lupercus, god of fertility and husbandry, protector of herds and crops, and a mighty hunter—especially of wolves. The Romans believed that Lupercus would protect Rome from roving bands of wolves, which devoured livestock and people.

Assisted by Vestal Virgins, the Luperci (male priests) conducted purification rites by sacrificing goats and a dog in the Lupercal cave on Palatine Hill, where the Romans believed the twins Romulus and Remus had been sheltered and nursed by a she-wolf before they eventually founded Rome. Clothed in loincloths made from sacrificed goats and smeared in their blood, the Luperci would run about Rome, striking women with februa, thongs made from skins of the sacrificed goats. The Luperci believed that the floggings purified women and guaranteed their fertility and ease of childbirth. February derives from februa or “means of purification.”

To the Romans, February was also sacred to Juno Februata, the goddess of febris (“fever”) of love, and of women and marriage. On February 14, billets (small pieces of paper, each of which had the name of a teen-aged girl written on it) were put into a container. Teen-aged boys would then choose one billet at random. The boy and the girl whose name was drawn would become a “couple,” joining in erotic games at feasts and parties celebrated throughout Rome. After the festival, they would remain sexual partners for the rest of the year. This custom was observed in the Roman Empire for centuries.

Now, some of my own thoughts.

1) Vedic Rudra, just like Roman God Lupercus is god of fertility and husbandry, protector of herds and crops, and a mighty hunter.

2) On many years in the history of hindus, the V-Day (Feb.,14th.) had fallen on Maha Shiva ratri. 2004, 1999 are some of such examples.

3) Since I am a Bengali, I know this ceremony applies to every nook and corner of Bengal. I am not sure about other corners of India. Even today, in Bengal, unmarried girls of marriagable age fast through out the Shiva Ratri and pour water, milk etc. on Shiva Linga for the desire of getting a worthy husband. Maha Shiva Ratri is invariably linked to union and love. Shiva is never worshipped without His Shakti by his side. There are many legends associated with shiva ratri and love.

4) February is generally the time when Venus is/used to get exalted in Pisces. However, to shift in the Earth's axis and changing seasons, such a date cannot be assigned to the exaltation of Venus. Venus is the goddess of love. It was during this time that many infectious diseases used to commence in India and it was called a "feverish" time of the year.

5) From many references (Srimad Bhagvatam being one of them, Mahabharata being another), we come to know that the then India had trade with the Yavanas, meaning the Romans. Roman kings married Indian princesses and their was cross-cultural developments as well. in such a scenario the possible links between these festivals is not highly improbable.

Anyway, be it or not, whenever I think love in any way possible, physical, spiritual, symbolic or in any other form, the divine image of Shiva and his Shakti comes to my mind.

Wishing that all the lovers find love as did God Himself!

~Souvik

Aatmashatakam


Chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham
Manobudhhi ahankar Chitta ninaham
Nacha Shotra jive nacha ghrana Netre
Nacha Vyoma Bhoomir na tejo na vayu
Chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham -1

Nacha prana sandhno na ve manchtauh
na va saptadhatur na va panchakoshah
na vak panipadau na chopastha payu
chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham -2

Na me dwesh ragau na me loobha mohau
mado naiva me naiva matsaryabhvah
na dharmo na chartho na kamo na mokshah
Chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham -3

Na punyam na paapam na Saukhyam na dukham
na mantro na tirtho na veda na yagna
aham Bhojanam naiv bhojam na bhokta
Chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham -4

na me mrutu Shanka Na me Jatibheda
Pita naiva me naiva mata na Janma
na bhandu na mitra gurur naiva shishya
Chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham -5

Aham Nirvikalpo Nirakar rupo
Vibhurvyapa sarvatra sarvendriyani
Sada me samatvam na muktir na bhandha
Chidananda rupas Shivoham Shivoham -6

Translated as

I am eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.
1.I am not mind , nor the intellect , nor the ego , nor the reflections of inner self(chitta) . I do not have senses, I am beyond that! I am not the ether, nor the earth, nor the fire , nor the wind. I am indeed, eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.

2. Neither can I be termed as praana (energy) , nor five types of breathes. Nor the seven essenses, nor the five coverings (Panchakosha) Neither am I the speech, nor am I the hands and the feet , nor the genitals . I am indeed, eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.

3.I have no hatred , nor the affiliation , nor the greed nor the delusion, nor the haughtiness , nor the feeling of envy . I am not the dharma, nor the money nor the kaama nor the moksha. I am indeed, eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.

4.Nor am I the merit , nor the dismerit. I do not commit sins or good deeds. Nor the happiness , nor the sorrow. I do not need mantra, holy places, veda and yagnas (sacrifices). I (the triplet) do not consume anything nor am I consumable, nor I am consumptions I am indeed, eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.

5. I do not have fear of death(I do not have death) and no seperation from my true self, no doubt (about my existence), nor have I the descrimination on the basis of birth . I have no father , no mother , nor did I have a birth. I am not the relative , nor the friend , nor the Guru, nor the desciple. I am indeed, eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.

6. I am all pervasive. I am without any attributes , and without any form . I am always in equilibrium. Nor I have the attachment to the world, nor liberation(Mukti). I do not have wishes for anything because I am everything, everywhere, everytime -always in equilibrium. I am indeed, eternal blissful Shiva - love and happiness.

No comments: